The Lucent 901928-01 Keyboard


I was looking up eBay for vintage computer keyboards, like a gentleman, and came across this beige Lucent 901928-01. It looks like a standard IBM 101-key keyboard, but there are a couple of interesting differences.

If you look at the photo above, you can see that awkward gap between the Alt and Ctrl keys are filled with longer Ctrl keys. So you don’t accidently hit them, they have the same depressed edge I’ve only ever seen on Caps Lock.

But most interesting of all, there’s an additional key on the top corner labelled Clr/Rfrsh. I’m assuming that’s for clearing the screen, or refreshing a view. I’ve never seen it before.

Thanks to azsurplusandmore for this delightful oddity.

Author bio and support


Ruben Schade is a technical writer and infrastructure architect in Sydney, Australia who refers to himself in the third person. Hi!

The site is powered by Hugo, FreeBSD, and OpenZFS on OrionVM, everyone’s favourite bespoke cloud infrastructure provider.

If you found this post helpful or entertaining, you can shout me a coffee or send a comment. Thanks ☺️.