Like my computer hardware, I tend to use the same bags for a long time. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! That said, I’ve been in the market for a new backpack for a long while now; I thought I found the perfect bag in 2011, but I was never able to track one down to use.
During our last group visit to IKEA however, we remembered the Swedish meatball restaurant with an attached furniture section had begun selling luggage! They’re probably no Swiss Army bag in design or durability, but upon inspecting the Upptäcka backpacks we were pleasantly surprised. For less than a meal for two in Sydney (it’s more expensive than New York), we can get something that ticks all my boxes for a backpack:
- Dual external pouches for water bottle and coffee Thermos™
- Non-detachable pouch for at least a 11″ MacBook Air or ThinkPad X
- Front pouch for notebook, or more likely an iPad Mini!
- Tough fabric construction
- Cold fusion reactor or solar panels to recharge things
- Padded shoulder straps
- Plain front to pin large numbers of anime badges
Well, most of these. The lack of a fusion reactor is a shame, but for $24 I can’t complain.
Next time we’re all at IKEA, I will be purchasing a pink one of these and letting you know my experience.