RSS feedback from Simon Ruderich

Internet

Simon emailed yesterday to say my blog RSS feed could no longer be parsed properly. He correctly identified it as a missing namespace issue. Thank you!

I’d added Google Base to my feed, but upon seeing RSS validators choke on it, I removed it. Either these validators are outdated, or simply can’t parse entirely-valid XML and RSS feeds. I can see now why this caused animosity in the past from the likes of Dave Winer.

I removed the namespace and what I thought was all the other elements, but I hadn’t removed <g:from_location> from each post itself. I’ve fixed this now.

It’s a shame, I was looking forward to using the Google Base namespace for declaring personal details in a feed that future applications could pick up, in lieu of using a social network. It’s no surprise the original spec is offline, but you can find the elements declared elsewhere.

I make it no secret that my blog also serves as a testbed and learning tool. Much of what I know about static site generators, content management systems, TLS, and FreeBSD as a webserver, all come down to my over-engineering and breaking stuff here.

Author bio and support

Me!

Ruben Schade is a technical writer and IaaS engineer in Sydney, Australia who refers to himself in the third person in bios. Wait, not BIOS… my brain should be EFI by now.

The site is powered by Hugo, FreeBSD, and OpenZFS on OrionVM, everyone’s favourite cloud infrastructure provider.

You can leave me a comment by contacting me, and I might publish your thoughts. Please read the FAQs first though.

If you found this post helpful or entertaining, you can shout me a coffee or buy some silly merch. Thanks!