I've been talking for a long time about moving my site completely over to Segment Publishing and the Rubenerd Show audio files over to the Internet Archives. I've been putting the latter off though because I knew I would be manually repeating the following procedure… OVER 260 TIMES.
- Uploading each audio file and associated cover art file individually
- Copying and pasting the descriptions from the Rubenerd Show site
- Transcribing the date created (versus date uploaded)
- Painstakingly translating the descriptions into tags
- Tag each file with the appropriate Creative Commons licence
- Go back to the show’s RubenerdShow.com post
- Modify each MP3 URL to point to the new Archive.org address
- Modify each enclosure podcast MP3 url to point to the new Archive.org address
- Add the tags I created before to my own site
This weekend I finally slammed my fist down on the table and started taking action! Uploading over 260 episodes of the Rubenerd Show — individually — will take forever and will probably result in me going completely insane, but I'm charging ahead while I have a few spare days.
After doing a couple I realised the amount of work this would entail and I started having doubts, but now I figure I've gone this far now so there's no turning back! The question then becomes… what have I got myself into?!
Below is my progress so far, and I've only scratched the surface. Something tells me I won't be leaving the apartment for a week or so given it's taken me a day to upload 29 (to be fair I was doing other things too). Actually at that rate I'll be done in just over a week, exactly 8 days to be precise. Perhaps if I skip eating and taking one shower a day instead of three or four I might be able to reduce that down to 5 or 6 days.
Now if you'd excuse me, I'm off to put a few dozen litres of heavy duty eye drops in!
Am I crazy? Sheesh!