Very quiet night tonight with just my bed-stricken mum and I at home. She's in a lot of pain tonight. If only there were some way I could take some of that pain away from her.
Anyways onto some fun stuff; I was thinking of things I could do at home on a Saturday night. FreeBSD! I need to update my ports collection a bit more often… the
portmanager -u update is going to be a big one this time! Shows though how little maintenance you need to keep a FreeBSD system running just nice.
- Beastie! →
- one official package management system
- one official ports collection
- one well written, master, last word handbook
- one source for official documentation
- one base website
- one predictable, rigid and enforced root drive folder layout
- one base kernel from the same folks who develop the other system components
- ease of setting up X11 to make a kick-arse desktop
- speed in which it starts up compared to Linux
- nice BSD licence…
It's all just so cohesive and efficient damn it! Don't get me wrong, I still think Debian GNU/Linux is all good and Mac OS X is still spiffy, but FreeBSD rocks!
Anyway it's getting damned late and I need to
shutdown -p now myself, if you know what I mean ;).