I’ve long been interested to get a scale for the various cities I’ve either grown up in or love visiting, but it never occurred to me to just do a simple OpenStreetMap comparison:
From top left to bottom right we have:
- Sydney, which just fits
- Five boroughs of New York City, with a bit of New Jersey
- Tiny, tiny Singapore with Johor Bahru across the Causeway
- Hong Kong, which is closer in size to Singapore than I realised!
- Klang Valley, with Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya
- Kansai Region, with Ōsaka and Kyōto
I checked Tōkyō, and it would have covered almost all six squares. I’ll bet some cities in China would be similar.