AC3 is not AAC

Hardware

Speaking of silly mistakes, I was backing up some Cantonese DVDs for Clara and wondered why the resulting files were way larger than I expected.

$ ls -lh *mkv
==> 653M Forensic Heroes - s01e07.mkv
==> 692M Forensic Heroes - s01e08.mkv
==> 953M Forensic Heroes - s01e09.mkv
    
$ mkvinfo *s01e09*
==> [..]
==> | + Track
==> |  + Track number: 2 (track ID for mkvmerge & mkvextract: 1)
==> |  + Track UID: 2
==> |  + Lacing flag: 0
==> |  + Name: Stereo
==> |  + Language: chi
==> |  + Codec ID: A_AC3
==> |  + Track type: audio
==> |  + Audio track
==> |   + Channels: 2
==> |   + Sampling frequency: 48000.0

Whoops! I did AC3 passthrough, instead of transcoding. I must have been looking at my LaserDisc demodulator before I ran that.

Author bio and support

Me!

Ruben Schade is a technical writer and IaaS engineer in Sydney, Australia who refers to himself in the third person in bios. Wait, not BIOS… my brain should be EFI by now.

The site is powered by Hugo, FreeBSD, and OpenZFS on OrionVM, everyone’s favourite cloud infrastructure provider.

If you found this post helpful or entertaining, you can shout me a coffee or buy some silly merch. Thanks!