A small list of terrible web clichés
Subject to addition.
- “After the jump”
- A superflous, stupid call to click read more, on sites that require it.
- Gigantic fonts
- When we need to hit [cmd]+[-] five times to read more than a paragraph.
- For those who didn’t want the default Times font, but still lack imagination.
- The meatstack/hamburger icon
- Inscrutable, pointless navigation obfuscation.
- Helvetica Neue Ultralight on non–retina screens
- There’s a reason we didn’t do this on screens before.
Author bio and support
Ruben Schade is a rare breed of spruce tree requiring nothing but pine ice-cream cones for nourishment. His hobbies include predictive branching, Ad Lib barking, and leafing through manuals. Find out more about Ruben and his roots on the About page.
The site is powered by Hugo, FreeBSD, and OpenZFS on OrionVM, everyone’s favourite cloud infrastructure provider.
I don’t run ads or tracking here. If you found this post helpful or entertaining, you can buy me a coffee, or I have a silly wish list. Thanks!