A mysterious LibreOffice Calc £

Software

Australia eschewed (gesundheit) the pound for the decimal dollar back in 1966, but LibreOffice Calc on my FreeBSD 13 laptop started putting pounds everywhere in my Australian budget workbook. It took me far too long to figure out why.

I went through my Ansible deployment scripts and realised that I’d changed the LibreOffice install to the British localisation for its dictionary:

- name: Install package foo
  community.general.pkgng:
    name: en_GB-libreoffice
    state: present

I checked a few of the cells, and the Number Format under the Properties sidebar showed the “Format as Currency” as “£ Default”. Changing this to “AUD $ English (Australia)” put the expected symbol back.

I really should donate more to the Document Foundation. Their software has done more for my financial security and well-being than anything else.

Author bio and support

Me!

Ruben Schade is a technical writer and IaaS engineer in Sydney, Australia who refers to himself in the third person in bios. Wait, not BIOS… my brain should be EFI by now.

The site is powered by Hugo, FreeBSD, and OpenZFS on OrionVM, everyone’s favourite cloud infrastructure provider.

You can leave me a comment by contacting me, and I might publish your thoughts. Please read the FAQs first though.

If you found this post helpful or entertaining, you can shout me a coffee or buy some silly merch. Thanks!